5 innovative Orléans businesses will pose questions to our business services panel. You won’t want to miss this discussion!
Sem Ponnambalam, co-founder and President of XAHIVE, is responsible for global operations. Sem has 18+ years of experience in both the private and public sector.
Sem has been instrumental in building relationships between XAHIVE and World Economic Forum, U.S. Department of Commerce, Small Business Development Centers, NY State Economic Development, CenterState CEO, Hollywood Chamber of Commerce, Columbia University, Utica College, McMaster University Hospital and Coventry (UK) University Hospital.
Sem has been a panelist and delivered cybersecurity workshops for the World Economic Forum, Fortune 500 companies, Canadian, U.S., German and Italian chambers of commerce, business associations and academic institutions. Sem will has attended a trade mission with the Prime Minister of Canada to Italy in May 2017 and represented Canada as a G20 YEA delegate and panelist in June of 2017 in Berlin, Germany. Sem has a MA in Legal Studies, specializing in international law.
Mehdi Founded Zodiac Light Waves a few months after his family and he landed in Vancouver BC in 1997. Zodiac was the only source of income for the family and Mehdi’s postgraduate studies in applied science at Simon Fraser University. Mehdi started designing and making laser light show devices for entertainment and educational applications from 1997 to 2000 when he graduated and moved to Ottawa.
In the summer of 2000 the company started its business in the telecommunication industry after moving to Ottawa. During the economic down time in 2001 and several years after, Zodiac was engaged in international sales of Canadian telecom products that had no buyer in North America. The business was extended from the Middle East to China and East Asian countries with two offices in Dubai and Dalian China.
In the summer of 2006, Hesam joined the company and started the networking and wireless technology division. Since then Zodiac started providing services for health care market including Medical clinics, Retirement residences and Long term Care facilities all over Ontario. Zodiac is a major service provider for industry in Ottawa and a strong player in entire province, At present, Mehdi is running the international sector and Hesam is in charge of the Canadian market.
WE DELIVER DATA DRIVEN ROBOTIC AVIATION SERVICES IN HARSH CONDITIONS GLOBALLY
Ian Glenn is an engineer, a veteran, a builder, a creator, an inventor, a team builder, a leader, a visionary - in short, an entrepreneur. When the eminent Canadian Aeronautical and Space Institute (CASI) honoured him as a Pioneer in Canadian Aviation - a first for Unmanned Aviation - with its prestigious Roméo Vachon award, the citation read: Ian has led the creation of Canada's most dynamic growth sector – unmanned aviation. His leadership in the field started over two decades ago, driving the creation of national drone standards with Transport Canada to enable the creation of the industry. Along the way he launched UVS Canada, the organization that grew into Unmanned Systems Canada which is Canada’s national sector organization. As the Chief Executive and Chief Technology Officer of his company, ING Robotic Aviation, over the past 15 years he has developed and integrated UAV systems and provided services across the globe in harsh conditions including war zones. ING Robotic Aviation often has undertaken technically difficult projects that moved the regulatory yardstick forward by demonstrating safe, robust, and validated results that served to expand the operational envelope for all the civil and commercial sector. ING has also been highly and consistently visible as a sponsor of student activities. As a pioneer of industrial drones, he has created new markets and capabilities introducing UAVs to the resource, agriculture, forestry, utility, film, construction, and defence and public safety sectors. Ian is a true pioneer in a technology and aviation emergence that will happen only once in our professional lifetime. He has grasped this evolution and expended considerable energy in guiding it for the benefit of all Canada.
AUTOMOTIVE SOFTWARE PLATFORM OF THE FUTURE
CONNECTING CUSTOMERS TO YOUR AUTO SHOP
• Ben acquired his Automotive Service Technician License with inter-provincial designation to become one of the youngest licensed technicians in Ontario at the age of 19. By the age of 22, Ben Lalonde was shop foreman of one of the largest Tire and Auto Service shops in Ottawa.
• 2 years later, Ben was headhunted for an overseas contract as Fleet Manager for Saudi Arabia’s largest fleet companies but turned it down to purchase his first shop.
• Struggling with the new stresses of the entire business complex, Ben was introduced to management training called as Proshop but soon became 1 of 5 National Management Trainers offering the courses he took a couple years earlier.
• Under Ben’s direction and management, Orleans Autopro was finalist for ”Service Business of the Year” in 2011, 2012 and 2013 and Nominee for “Business Person of the Year 2011″ by the Orleans Chamber of Commerce.
• In 2012, Ben received the prestigious award of “Business person of the Year” followed by “Sales and Service Business of the Year” in 2013.
• To further his knowledge, Ben completed his Executive MBA at the University of Ottawa Telfer School of Business which he graduated in June 2016.
• In June 2016, Ben was the recipient of the prestigious “Forty under 40” award which recognizes 40 local business leaders who continue to impact their community in a positive way.
• During his EMBA, Ben started Rebel Technologies. A software company designed to change how consumer deal with their repair shop. Tired of the way it is currently done, Ben is pioneering a new way to have your car serviced. His focus is creating technology that protects clients, creates transparency and bring back trust to the industry.
• Ben is also a board member of the Automotive Service Provider Council of Canada and is on the Government Relations Committee with the Automotive Industry Association of Canada.
OakWood specializes in “high-performance” renovations, custom homes and buildings that are beautifully designed, energy-efficient, healthy, technology-enabled and eco-friendly.
Over 60 years of experience designing and building it right. A fourth generation family run business, we’ve been proudly helping Ottawa homeowners transform their homes into inspirational yet functional living spaces since 1956. We specialize in high quality, design and build solutions using a unique approach to give you the most complete enjoyable, and worry free renovation possible. From beautifully designed and well-managed kitchens, additions, bathrooms, and basements to small ‘fix-it’ handyman projects, OakWood is a name you can trust to do your project right and always on budget.
The Liptak family has a long history in the Ottawa construction industry dating back to 1956:
In 1954 John Liptak Sr. came to Canada from Germany with a strong work ethic trained in the art of furniture making.
He used his talents and expanded into home renovations because of the high demand for skilled labour.
John Liptak Jr. learned the construction business from the bottom up. Starting by cleaning jobsites at the age of 11 he graduated with honours and highest marks with both Ontario and Inter-Provincial Carpenters Licenses in 1978. He is now President and CEO of OakWood.
Growing up in this environment, with a keen sense of traditional building practices as well as the newest techniques and ideas, John has melded computer technology with the construction industry in the 1980's.
Today, John works alongside the next generation of Liptak to take OakWood to new heights of excellence.
Daughter, Patricia Liptak, continues to refine OakWood's approach and improve efficiencies. Patricia brings strong business metrics and legal skills into a process driven customer service centric company.
The Liptak Family began in the technology and software industry since 1998 and have expanded across Canada and into Europe.